Subject: Business / Management
Format for Problem Set:
1. Title page
2. Write Questions and Answers
3. Reference page (if needed and add citations for every reference)
Answers to these questions are found in Chapters 19, 22, and 23
1. Major operations and supply planning activities can be grouped into categories based on the relevant time range of the activity. Into what time range category does sales and operations planning fit?
2. In the agriculture industry, migrant workers are commonly employed to pick crops ready for harvest. They are hired as needed and are laid off once the crops are picked. The realities of the industry make this approach necessary. Which production planning strategy best describes this approach?
3. Which of the four costs relevant to aggregate production planning is the most difficult to accurately measure?
4. What are the objectives of workcenter scheduling?
5. Why does batching cause so much trouble in workcenters?
6. Why is managing bottlenecks so important in workcenter scheduling?
7. State the global performance measurements and operational performance measurements and briefly define each of them. How do these differ from traditional accounting measurements?
8. Individually or in a small group, examine your own experiences either working in a company or as a customer of a company. Describe an instance where TOC was successfully applied to improve a process, or where you saw the potential for TOC to improve the process.
9. Compare and contrast JIT, MRP, and synchronized manufacturing, stating their main features, such as where each is or might be used, amounts of raw materials and work-in-process inventories, production lead times and cycle times, and methods for control.
10. Discuss what is meant by forward loading and backward loading.