human resource management -discussions
Subject: Education / General Education
Answer the questions to the case, “Jack Nelson’s Problem,” at the end of Chapter 1.
1.What do you think was causing some of the problems in the savings and loan home office and branches?
2.Do you think setting up an HR unit in the main office would help?
3. What specific functions should an HR unit carry out?
4. What HR functions would then be carried out by supervisors and other line managers?
Answer the questions to the case, “LearnInMotion.com: A Question of Discrimination,” at the end of Chapter 2.
1. Our company is in New York City. We now have only about five employees and are only planning on hiring about three or four more. Is our company covered by equal rights legislation?
2. Were we within our legal rights to ask the possibly age-related and substance abuse–related questions? Why or why not?
3. Did Dan and Alex create a hostile environment for Ruth? Why or why not? How should we have handled this matter?
4. What have we been doing wrong up to now with respect to EEO-related matters, and how do you suggest we rectify the situation in the future?