Subject: Business / Management
PROJECT MANAGEMENT IN ACTION
Project Leadership Roles at TriHealth
TriHealth is a company that manages several large hospitals and a variety of other health organizations, such as physical fitness facilities and nursing services. Due to the company’s increasing size and complexity, Tri- Health leadership decided they needed to formally de- fine roles of project executive sponsor, project leader, performance improvement consultant, core team member, and subject matter expert. These roles are shown below.
Project Executive Sponsor Initiating Stage
• Empower project leader with well-defined charter, which is the overarching guide • Clearly define expected outcomes
• Demonstrate commitment to and prioritization of project
• Define decision-making methods and responsibility— sponsor/project leader/team
• Partner with project leader to identify obstacles, barriers, and silos to overcome Planning Stage
• Ensure Project Leader understands business context for organization
• Ensure Project Leader develops overall project plan
• Assist Project leader in developing vertical and horizontal communication plan
• Demonstrate personal interest in project by investing time and energy needed
• Secure necessary resources and organizational support
• Communicate and manage organizational politics
• Visibly empower and support Project Leader vertically and horizontally
• Build relationships with key stakeholders
• Actively listen to and promote team and project to Stakeholders
• Remove obstacles and ensure progress of project
• Ensure goals are met and Stakeholders are satisfied
• Ensure closure; planned completion or termination
• Ensure results and lessons learned are captured and shared
• Ensure assessment of related applications or opportunities
• Ensure any necessary next steps are assigned and resourced
• Recognize contributions and celebrate completion
• Negotiate follow-up date(s) to assess project status
All of the roles listed are the ultimate responsibility of the project leader. However, in the development of the charter, the Sponsor and the Project Leader will have a discussion about the Project Leader role. At that time, the individuals will determine if the Project Leader needs additional assistance or skills to facilitate the project success and which of these responsibilities need to be delegated to others with expertise in those areas.
• Leads negotiation with Sponsor for charter definition.
• Collaborates with Sponsor to clarify expectations.
• Provides direction to the team with integrity, leader- ship, and communication skills. • Facilitates productive meetings and supports the team’s decisions.
• Prepares the high-level work plan and timeline.
• Champions the project on the management level and with the staff.
• Leads the implementation of the project.
• Manages project flow, including agenda setting, meeting documentation, and coordination of team assignments.
• Develops implementation, education, and communication plans for the project.
• Responsible for the team and project progress and proactively intervenes to promote team and project success.
• Identifies, communicates, and facilitates the removal of barriers to enable successful project completion.
• Supports the team with tools and methodologies to accomplish goals.