Choose one of the numbered scenarios described…
Choose one of the numbered scenarios described below and compose a one-half page document that addresses the questions associated with that scenario. Your writing should present a clear analysis of the facts and a coherent explanation and/or solution addressing these facts that is supported by references
1. Characterize the differences among untreated, primary-treated, and secondary-treated sewage and compare and explain the effects of dumping each type on the eutrophication of a pond and a fast-moving river.
2. Flooding after two weeks of heavy rainfall in Tooele, Utah preceded a high rate of diarrheal illness. Giardia lamblia was isolated from 25% of the patients. A comparison study of a town 65 miles away revealed diarrheal illness in 2.9% of the people interviewed. Tooele has a municipal water system and a municipal sewage treatment plant.
o Based on the information provided, what is the probable cause of this outbreak of diarrhea in Tooele?
o What other possible causes are supported by these same facts?
o What method(s) could be used to stop the current outbreak and prevent future outbreaks?
3. The bioremediation process shown in the photograph below is used to remove benzene and other hydrocarbons from soil contaminated by petroleum. The pipes are used to add nitrates, phosphates, oxygen, or water.
o Why is each of these ingredients added?
o Why is it not always necessary to add bacteria? How does one know when to add or not add and which one(s)?
You are a microbiologist working for the U.S. Department of Energy and because you are an expert in microbe-produced fuels, you have been called before a congressional committee examining the feasibility of renewable energy sources.
In your own words construct a thoughtful opening statement speech that demonstrates your knowledge of this field. In your statement to the committee, please include the following:
1. a summary of the different types of microbe-produced fuels currently available, and
2. a persuasive argument to support further funding for research and development of a microbe-produced fuel that you have determined to be the most viable as an alternative to fossil fuels.
Your document should be approximately two pages in length, double-spaced in 10 to 12 point font. If you refer to sources of information besides the textbook, please be sure to cite them in the text and on a reference page using APA format.
Min Pages: 3
Level of Detail: Show all work
Other Requirements: please be advised you'll be completing two assignments which total 3 questions, for both assignments please provide sources using APA format. For both assignments, they have directions provided, so please read carefully, thanks.