Subject: Biology / General Biology
1. A neuron is _____.
a) The part of a nerve cell that receives information.
b) The part of a nerve cell that sends information.
c) The part of a nerve cell that creates energy.
d) A cell of the nervous system responsible for receiving and transmitting electrochemical information.
2. The long tube-like structure that conveys impulses away from the cell body toward other neurons, muscles, or glands is called a(n) _____.
c) myelin sheath
3. The __________ is another name for the cell body.
4. Neurotransmitters are
a) released from the terminal button of a cell
b) responsible for electrical communication within a cell
c) part of the power house of a cell
d) all of the above
5. Communication within neurons is _____ whereas communication between neurons is _____.
a) electrical; chemical
b) unmylinated; mylinated
c) chemical; electrical
d) very slow; very fast
6. Parkinson’s Disease, which Michael J. Fox has, results from
a) too little serotonin
b) too much dopamine
c) too little dopamine
d) too much serotonin
7. Growth, reproduction, moods, and our responses to stress are all controlled by our _____.
8. The peripheral nervous system _____.
a) is composed of the spinal cord and peripheral nerves
b) is less important than the central nervous system
c) is contained within the skull and spinal column
d) includes all the nerves and neurons outside the brain and spinal cord
9. The central nervous system _____.
a) consists of the brain and spinal cord
b) is the most important nervous system
c) includes the automatic and other nervous systems
d) all of these options
10. The _____ nervous system is responsible for fight of flight whereas the _____ nervous system is responsible for maintaining calm.
a) central; peripheral
b) parasympathetic; sympathetic
c) sympathetic; parasympathetic
d) autonomic; somatic
11. This almond-shaped structure is part of the limbic system and helps regulate emotion.
d) none of these options
12. _____ area is found in the temporal lobe, and is involved with language comprehension.
b) The association
13. Mandisa is blindfolded and asked to identify several objects. She cannot verbally identify objects placed in her left hand, which suggests that she has had _____.
a) a dyslexic episode
b) split-brain surgery
c) too much to drink
d) a lateralization of her brain hemispheres
14.The part of the brain that is responsible for the most complex of human behaviors is the _______.
b) Cerebral Cortex
d) None of the above.