A Short Paper Assignment allows you, early in the course, to demonstrate your research skills to your instructor and to receive feedback that will benefit you when you write your research paper. With this assignment, you will learn how to do proper and adequate research and write a short paper and prepare you for writing the research paper.
This short paper is at least three double-spaced pages of text (Times New Roman, font size 12) and you must consult a minimum of two academically credible sources. Bibliographies and citations will be in the Chicago Manual of Style format.
The short paper needs to be turned in through the assignment section for grading. If you use any of the information from your sources word-for-word, you must cite the source by using endnotes or footnotes. If you read the information and write it in your own words and it is not common knowledge, then you must cite the source because you are paraphrasing someone's information.
The short paper must include a cover page with your name, course number and course title, instructor's name, and date. You must also include a bibliography at the end of your paper. While composing your paper, use proper English. Do not use abbreviations, contractions, passive voice, or first/ second person (I, you, we, our, etc)
I need a 3 page paper written on one of the following topics.
1. Analyze the impact of technology on the development of human civilizations. In particular, examine the difference between the adjustment of details of life and genuine technological change. Explore the impetus for each, and the effects of each.
2. Ancient Mesopotamian civilization produced a number of remarkable contributions to civilization. Explore the reasons why so many groundbreaking advancements came from one civilization, and trace the effects of that contribution.
3. Describe the characteristics and the accomplishments of the reign of Chandragupta Maurya.
4. Investigate the similarities between the pre-Aryan Indus valley civilization and other contemporary civilizations, such as the Babylonian or Egyptian.
5. Discuss the ways in which classical Chinese thought is a product of the realities of its time. Compare this with classical Greek, Roman, Indian, or Egyptian thought.
6. Investigate the origins of agriculture in China, and explore the impact of the development of agriculture on Chinese civilization.
7. Egypt and Mesopotamia. Describe each of these civilizations in terms of its political structure, religion, society, and culture.
8. Comparing the two great empires—Assyrian and Persian—that emerged after the thirteenth century B.C.E. How were they created? How were they ruled? How do historians explain the differences and similarities between them?
9. Describe and discuss the evolution of Hebrew society. What were the benefits and costs of this evolution? How did it affect the family? How would you assess the impact social evolution had on the Jewish religion?
10. Describe the evolution of Aryan society. What sources have historians used to understand Aryan society? What factors influenced this evolution? What aspects of Aryan society have had the greatest impact on the history of India?