Subject: Business / General Business
Applied Project Directions and Rubric
Final 2: Applied Project: Union Avoidance Program due in Unit 5 Scenario: Union Avoidance Project You are a Human Resources manager at your organization (or one you choose). At the current time, none of your employees belongs to a union. However, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, a national union, is attempting to organize your employees. The senior management of your company appears to be adamantly opposed to the presence of a union at your company and wants to do everything possible to defeat this union drive, including, if necessary:
• Speaking to individual workers, to let them know what management regards as the dangers of unionization, including economic harm to the company and possible layoffs.
• Assembling all workers, in large groups, to speak against unionization, and asking all workers to declare publicly whether they intend to vote for or against the union.
• Making pay changes, both up and down, to certain workers to prove that employees are better off without a union, and may suffer if they play too active a role in organizing.
• Immediately laying off all desk clerks and subcontracting the work to a part?time labor force.
• Other strategies suggested by your research as well. Based on these facts, you are to prepare a union avoidance program for the company's senior management team. This program should:
• Summarize management’s rights during an organizing drive and respond specifically to each of the possible actions listed above.
• Outline your complete strategy in supporting the company’s position of remaining union free. Page 1 of 3 GB541: Employment Law Project Requirements: This applied project will be in the form of an 8–10 page paper (excluding title and reference pages) that is to be based on a realistic project you would create for the company a) you presently work for or b) one you have worked for in the past or c) one you have chosen. It should be well?researched using current resources such as Internet websites, magazines, interviews, newspapers, and academic journal articles found in the Kaplan library. Directions for Submitting the Applied Project Compose your applied project in a Microsoft® Word® document and save it as Username GB541 Unit 5 Final 2.doc (Example: JSmith – GB541 Unit 5 Final 2.doc). Submit your file by selecting the Unit 5: Final 2 Dropbox by the end of Unit 5. Deliverables
• Begin research on your applied project in Unit 1.
• Continue working on the project in Units 2–5.
• No later than Day 7 of Unit 5: Submit the completed project. Suggested Progress for Applied Project?What you should be working on each week to stay on track. each Unit End of Unit 1 End of Unit 2 Begin research on your applied project. Complete your research and begin working on the rough draft of your applied project. End of Unit 3 Complete at least a 2–3 page rough draft of your project. End of Unit 4 Complete at least a 4–6 page rough draft of your project. End of Unit 5 Complete and submit your applied project. Page 2 of 3 GB541: Employment Law Grading Rubric: Unit 5 Applied Project: Union Avoidance Program Criteria Percentage Points Applied project is of the proper length of 8–10 pages
(Excluding title and reference pages). 20% 35 Applied project is written using proper business writing style
with cover sheet, proper margins, and good grammar and spelling. 20% 35 Applied project is carefully referenced with a minimum of 8–10
academic references and has an in?depth review of the current literature on this topic. 20% 35 Applied project addresses the topic of unions and avoidance
strategies and follows the requirements in the scenario in completing the Assignment. 20% 35 The research done is applied and uses real examples from
organizations in completing the Assignment. 20% 35 100% 175 Total Page 3 of 3