Subject: Physics / General Physics
Asteroid Project part 2
1. As mentioned before, our asteroid is in the shape of a sphere and has a mass of 1000 kilograms. Determine the density (in grams per cubic centimeter) of this asteroid if its diameter is known to be 1.2 meters.
Useful information: 1 kg = 1000 g, 1 m = 100 cm, volume of sphere = 4/3 ? r3. Remember that the radius of a sphere is equal to half its diameter. Show all of your work.
2. How does your calculated density (in grams per cubic centimeter) compare to the density of liquid water? Would you expect this asteroid to float or sink in water based on your calculations? What else do you need to take into consideration when making your decision? Explain your answers fully.
3. One side of our asteroid is constantly illuminated by the Sun while the other side remains in the dark. Do you expect there to be a temperature difference between the light and dark sides? Explain why or why not. If the two sides are at different temperatures, how might heat transfer from one side to the other? Note that our asteroid does not have enough gravity to hold an atmosphere.
4. Occasionally an asteroid will break into fragments due to a collision. These fragments, which often contain ice, can leave the asteroid belt and even make their way to Earth. Upon entering the Earth’s atmosphere, a fragment is heated to high temperature by frictional forces. What would happen to any ice contained within a fragment? What type of phase change would this be? Is this type of change considered a chemical change or a physical change? Explain.
5. Asteroids are mainly composed of metals like iron and nonmetals like carbon. Explain at least three differences between metals and nonmetals, and describe the locations of metals and non-metals within the periodic table. Specifically use iron and carbon in your explanation.
6. If the asteroid fragment contains carbon, it may burn when entering Earth’s atmosphere. What is the most likely compound to result from this process? Which type of chemical bond would result from this process? Of the types chemical reactions studied in this course, which type would this be? Be sure to fully explain all of your answers.